Smoking is a deliberate choice. Everyone has their own motivations for smoking. Here are some of the main reasons why young people start smoking:
- To be like their friends, to fit into the group better, or because they’re pressured by other people
- To look cooler or more mature
- To rebel against authority by doing the opposite of what people tell them to do
- To copy the behaviour of the people around them, for example by imitating an older brother or mother
- To cope with stress or manage strong emotions: smoking can seem like a way of relaxing or unwinding
- To try to lose weight – but that’s a false belief!