It’s all very well to be determined to stay active, but if you don’t enjoy it, it’ll be hard to keep going. Do you really like the activity you’re doing? When we love what we’re doing, then instead of looking for excuses, we look for opportunities!
Here are some things you could think about to help you find the right activity for you:
- Some people love team sports or competition. They find them energizing and stimulating. Are you one of those people?
- Registering for a course at the same time each week helps some people engage in physical activity regularly. It’s written on the calendar so they go! Other people, though, prefer less scheduled activities. Which kind are you?
- Hockey, soccer, and swimming aren’t the only things in life. If the most popular activities aren’t for you, try something new and different. Maybe you’re the kind of person who likes hip-hop dance, rock climbing, BMX, skateboarding, or trampoline? What would you like to try?
- We’re so lucky to have 4 seasons! Signing up for swimming doesn’t necessarily mean a life membership. Maybe you love swimming in summer but not so much in winter? You can change what kind of exercise you do every season. Why not take cross-country skiing lessons this winter, then gymnastics in spring?
- You can try an activity without necessarily adopting it for life. It’s normal not to know what you like, especially with less familiar activities. Try several different ones, maybe at free introductory sessions. Eventually, you’ll fall in love with one of them!