It’s not true that online games don’t provide any benefits! On the other hand, we can’t deny that they have a bad side too. Here are the main advantages and disadvantages of online games.
The advantages of online games
- We interact with other young people, we can create groups and communities, and we help each other: we socialize…
- We can learn new strategies, solve problems, and meet challenges: we think!
- We develop our observational skills and work on our attention and concentration: we learn.
The disadvantages of online games
- We don’t develop our motor skills. When we’re sitting in front of a screen, at best we might be moving our fingers… but we’re spending less time developing our passions, interests, and new skills. We aren’t out bicycling, experimenting with art materials, or playing a musical instrument.
- We get bad habits. When we’re playing on a screen, we’re not playing outdoors or practising a sport. There are only 24 hours in a day! If we spend our time playing or surfing online, we stop moving: we turn into couch potatoes. And that’s dangerous for our health! In addition, passive activities are often accompanied by bad eating habits, such as snacking more and eating unhealthier food.