When does a friendship become complicated or toxic?
You know that a friendship has become complicated or toxic when…
- You’re often disappointed by the relationship or your friend.
- The relationship is creating problems.
- You feel pressure to do things you’re not comfortable with or don’t like.
- You don’t trust your friend.
- Your friend doesn’t treat you with respect, even when you clearly say you don’t like it.
- You argue all the time.
- One of you feels jealousy or fear, even though you make efforts to solve the problems.
What to do if you’re in a toxic friendship
If you’re dealing with a toxic friendship, here are some things you can do:
- Think about what you do and don’t like about this relationship. Make a list and look at the overall picture. What side do the scales come down on?
- Take the time to think before making a decision.
- If necessary, take a break. Sometimes a friendship is hurting us but we’re not ready to end it. A break can help you get some distance from this toxic friendship. During this time, get your head together and hang out with other friends. That will surely help you see things clearly.